DigitalOcean is not managed hosting provider, you have to do everything on your own, if you had use any shared hosting previously that you may have seen that they provide build in FTP option on their cPanel for you to manage files in your server but DigitalOcean don’t provide that option for it’s droplet but by using terminal we can easily access files in our droplet.
Login to your DigitalOcean Droplet
Right after creating a new droplet on DigitalOcean, check for mail by DigitalOcean where they have provided you with following three things:
- IP of droplet
- Username (which is root most of the time)
- Now download PuTTY for windows from this link.
- Open PuTTY.exe and put your droplet IP Address in host name input box and click Open.
- Popup will appear giving you some warning, just click yes.
- Now a terminal will open asking you for username, type your username which is root.
- Now enter password for your droplet. Remember when you type password it will not show anything on terminal for security reason so just don’t panic and if you want to paste password then right click and enter.
- Congratulations! You are logged in. If it’s your first login since creating droplet then it will ask you to change password for security reason.
Login to DigitalOcean Droplet through ServerPilot
If you’ve configure your droplet using serverpilot (which we recommend) then best way to login to your droplet is by using serverpilot username instead for root username.
- Open PuTTY.
- Enter IP address of your droplet.
- when terminal will ask for username this time enter ‘serverpilot‘.
- now enter password for serverpilot user which you have set while configuration.
- And you’re logged in 😀
If you face any problem then feel free to comment below.