Configure Cloudflare DNS
Do you want to enable Cloudflare DNS on Android and iOS Device – 188.8.131.52
Cloudflare recently launched it’s DNS Resolver 184.108.40.206 open to the public. Here in this article, you will find how you can enable Cloudflare DNS on your smartphone and Laptop/Computer and start using the fastest DNS service ever. DNS or Domain Name System is a huge database which contains details about a large number of Domain and it’s corresponding IP Address. It will quite hard for us to remember every website by it’s IP Address and to make it easy we Domain Names and this Domain Name will return the IP Address with the help of DNS or Domain Name System
There are a number of Free Public DNS service like Google DNS, Open DNS, Cloudflare DNS, etc. and Cloudflare is one among the fastest service that you can opt to go with. The company claims that it is the fastest consumer based DNS service with an average response time of just 14ms. We will compare it with some other DNS service later in this article and for now, let’s talk about Cloudflare DNS and why you should be using their service.
By default, you might be using your ISP’s DNS which will be very slow and might not have the domain in it. To make the process of resolving DNS much more faster people move to third-party DNS services like Google DNS and Cloudflare DNS. These third-party DNS services will be much faster and will have much more domains in their Database and in turn, makes the Internet a little bit faster than ever before.
Setup Cloudflare DNS
Cloudflare DNS is having both IPv4 and IP6 supports and you can change your default DNS resolver to Cloudflare by changing it via your phone’s settings or using the 220.127.116.11 App. Cloudflare DNS supports both DNS-over-TLS and DNS-over-HTTPS for enhanced security.
Cloudflare DNS Values are:
IPv4 – 18.104.22.168 & 22.214.171.124
IPv6 -2606:4700:4700::1111 & 2606:4700:4700::1001
If you want better security and privacy then this is a must. If you are very much concerned about your private data and privacy while surfing the Internet, it is always a better idea to move to Cloudflare Public DNS
Let’s compare the top three Public DNS service and it’s average global response time.
- Google DNS – 34ms
- Cloudflare DNS – 14ms
- Open DNS – 20ms
From the global response time data, you can see that Cloudflare is the fastest with low response time, ie, just 14ms.
How to Setup Cloudflare DNS on Android
In this part, we will see how we can setup Cloudflare DNS on any Android device. If you are having an iOS device like the iPhone or iPad then move to the next method.
Without the App – Android 9 Pie
You can follow this step if you are having an Android device running Android 9 Pie.
- Go to Settings > Network & internet > Advanced > Private DNS
- Click on the Private DNS provider hostname option
- Enter one.one.one.one or 1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com in the hostname filed and then tap on save
- That’s it we have enabled Cloudflare DNS on Android 9 Pie devices.
Without the App – Other versions of Android
If you are having an Android device that has a lower version of Android (<Android Pie) then follow these steps
- Open Phone Settings
- Tap on WiFi
- Tap and hold the WiFi network that you are connected to.
- Click on Modify Settings
- Change the IP Settings to the option called Static.
- Now set the DNS options as below
- Hit save and type in the password to confirm the changes and you are all good to go.
- Reconnect to the same WiFi network once again and you good to rock
With Cloudflare DNS App
If you don’t want to go through all these steps then Cloudflare has an app which will let you switch to Cloudflare DNS with just a click. But, if you want to use their DNS Service then the App should be opened and turned on. If you quite the App, it will not work anymore. So, keep that in mind.
- Download 126.96.36.199 (Cloudflare DNS) App from the Google Play Store
- Install the App
- Now, you will see a toggle button just swipe it to the ON position and confirm the action
- Now, you are connected to CloudFlare DNS network
- Also, note that this will only have an effect as long as you keep the app on.
Setup Cloudflare DNS On iPhone and iPad
If you are using an Apple device running iOS like the iPhone or iPad then use this method.
With 188.8.131.52 App
You can use the 184.108.40.206 DNS app to quickly connect to Cloudflare DNS without going through serious Network Registry editing.
- Open the Apple App Store and find the App 220.127.116.11: Faster Internet
- Install the App from the App Store
- Once the installation is done open the app
- Change the toggle to ON mode and BOOM you are now connected to high-speed Cloudflare DNS Network.
Without the App
- Open Settings > WiFi and then select the particular WiFi network that you are using
- On the settings page, you will find an option called Configure DNS
- Now change Configure DNS from Automatic to Manual
- Tap the + Add Server button add a new entry and delete if there are any other values already
- Add two DNS records: 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124
- Then, add two more DNS records: 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001
- Tap Save and reconnect to WiFi again and you are all good to go.
Setup Cloudflare DNS on Windows
Follow this step by step instructions if you are a Windows User.
- Right click on the Network icon from the Taskbar (WiFi if using)
- Click on “Network and Internet Settings“
- From the settings page click on Change Adapter Options
- Double Click on “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)“
- Click on “Use following DNS Server Addresses” and then specify 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 in given fields respectively.
- Press OK and now Double Click on “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)“
- Specify the IPv6 values and hit Enter – 2606:4700:4700::1111 & 2606:4700:4700::1001
Setup Cloudflare on macOS
- Go to System Preferences and then search and find DNS Servers option
- Select DNS Servers from the drop-down menu
- Under DNS Server’s tab, delete all the existing entries
- Click the + button to add new entries
- Add all four DNS values
- After that Press OK
- Hit Apply and reconnect to the Network and you have successfully changed the DNS System to Cloudflare DNS
How to check if Cloudflare DNS is Working?
Once you have enabled all the settings, to see if it is working just follow the steps below.
- Open a Web Browser and then go to the below-given URL
- Here under IPv4 and IPv6 if you see the given Address then your implementation is working fine.
This is how we enable Cloudflare DNS on our Android, iOS, Mac and Windows devices easily. For smartphone users the 184.108.40.206: Faster Internet app is a lifesaver because you are not required to any network settings editing as you can use the app and in a single click you will be connected to Cloudflare DNS. Again, if you want to permanently use Cloudflare DNS then I will recommend you to edit your Network Entries and point it to Cloudflare IP. Similarly, you can also use Google DNS if you want by using the IPv4 address 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168.